Historic Rural Hill Farm is one of North Carolina’s
oldest historic plantations. It encompasses more than 250 acres
of beautiful rolling hills, pastures, and magnificent vistas.
First established circa 1760 by Major John and Violet Davidson,
this land has played a significant role in the building of America.
John Davidson, a patriot in the American Revolution and signer
of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, built his plantation
in the northern part of Mecklenburg County, which quickly joined
other prestigious plantations that became known as the Jewels
of the Catawba River Valley region. During the American Revolution
it was a staging area where American troops camped in preparation
for the Battle of Cowan’s Ford, a prelude to the Battle of Guilford
Rural Hill has been continuously farmed for more
than 225 years. Today, this historic farm is an active living
farm with various livestock, a reconstruction of the original
homestead, the ruins of the main mansion, barns and outbuildings,
the present home built in the 1850’s, two of the last remaining
one room school houses in Mecklenburg County, the Davidson Family
cemetery, and several miles of walking trails. It is also a
cultural center for those researching their Scottish heritage.
So, there is plenty to see during your visit.
Throughout the year the farm is open for school
tours, special events such as the Loch Norman Highland Games,
The Sheep Dog Trials Competition, and the Spirit of the Hornet's
Nest, a battle reenactment of the Battle of Cowan's Ford. Corporate
team building events and even weddings also help generate revenue
to preserve this historic landmark.
Please visit our website at:
Marketing & Development Director
Historic Rural Hill Farm
P.O. Box 1009
4431 Neck Road
Huntersville, North Carolina 28070-1009